Jun 13, 2008

Gordon MacDonald on Benediction

I stumbled upon this insightful reflection from MacDonald in the Leadership Journal. The topic is on Benediction, and it's something that can be readily applied by preachers. I would.
My memory of benedictions is that they were the same every week: "Now unto him who is able to keep you from falling …" It seemed to be a universal way for pastors to say, "We're done, see ya!"

Some years ago I came to believe that a benediction just might be more than a signal that the service was over. It occurred to me that the benediction should be a thoughtful and affectionate blessing upon the people, the last words that might send them from the place of worship out into a larger world where cursing, competition, suffering, and disappointment often strive to do us in. Soon I was telling myself that this blessing might become a final charge that, rightly heard, would remind the listener of the most important dimensions of Christian policy until we met together again.

For this reason, I started writing benedictions and pasting them into my Bible. Among the themes: the incomprehensible enormity of a God who is greater than all other powers in the world; the importance of extending Christ's love to those we encounter during the week; the challenge to keep from sinning; the significance of replicating the character of Jesus in everyday life; and the "maranatha hope" that Jesus might return at any moment.

No comments: