Jun 6, 2008

The Bund & Nanjing Road

The Bund is a famous waterfront spot that overlooks 52 architectural buildings on the other side of the Huang Pu River. The river can be crossed through an underground-and below-the-water cable car specially imported from France. Here is a photo of Shanghai city view I took from the 54th floor of the Jianmao Tower located in the the area.


Stretching for more than 5km to the Bund is the most important artery in Shanghai, and the most famous street, Nanjing Road. What amazed me was the sea of people I saw everywhere I turned, day and night. It looked like an annual gathering of ant colonies. The city of Shanghai boasted its population of more than 21 million people! That is the number of people in the entire country of Australia.




Suddenly I was reminded of missionaries who decided to minister to the lost in China. I mean, if your heart is all out for Jesus, you would not be unmoved by the sheer vision of the mass. That might be what was in the heart of the Lord, when Mark reported, “When He saw the crowds, He had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd.” (Mark 9:36).

No comments: