Feb 23, 2008

But How Can I Discover God's Will?

Think about the last big life decision you made, and ask yourself honestly:
On a scale of 1 to 10, how sure were you that the decision reflected God's will and not yours?
Often our smart, rational, pious excuses in making that decision cloud our discernment. Yet since we keep repeating those excuses to our spouses, family members, friends, etc., we end up believing those excuses ourselves. "Sure I believed that God wanted me to do that." Otherwise, how can you have a peaceful sleep?

The above scenario was part and parcel of my life, too. Here are some of the big decisions I struggled with post high-school years:

Study in which university in America (wait, who said it had to be America)? Which field of study? After graduation, going back home or stay in the US? What sort of career I should have? Should I do my MBA or take MA in Christian Studies, and where? How did I end up in Melbourne anyway? After finishing my MBA, should I work first then marry, or the other way? Wait, is she the woman God wanted me to marry? How many kids you wanted us to raise, God? Is my calling in leadership, then in what form exactly? Does that involve a PhD? Do you want me to start a new church in a city already crowded with small Indo churches, or should I just join one? And how do I know which car to buy, at what price range, and when Lord? Our old TV is well, very old Lord,... is it Your will Lord to buy a new TV, if yes, tube or flat-screen, HD or Full HD, LCD or Plasma, Silver or Black, 32 or 42 inch? I think for my coffee, I have decided for a long while now that it must be extra hot, skinny, strong Mocha, sorry I never asked whether that's also Your will.

... and so on.

That is why I'd like to recommend several books on discovering and discerning God's will, which I found very useful. For your perusal, I provided the hot links to Amazon so you can browse, and hopefully buy and read them:

1. Step by Step, James Petty
2. Decision Making and the Will of God, Garry Friesen
3. Knowing God’s Will, M. Blaine Smith
4. Discovering God’s Will, Sinclair Ferguson
5. Guidance and the Voice of God, Phillip D. Jensen and Tony Payne
6. Hearing God, Dallas Willard

No comments: