May 11, 2009

Mother's Day Prayer

I asked the following prayer, which is part of a prayer called Family from the Valley of Vision, to be included in the church bulletin yesterday as we celebrated Mother's Day. The second paragraph is particularly outstanding to me. We prayed yesterday for our mothers, those of us who have mothers who do not yet believe in Christ Jesus, those who are not in good terms with their mothers, those who have lost their mothers, those who long to be mothers, and those who are about to be mothers (there are three in our congregation - one actually delivered today!), and those who receive the gift of singleness hence never become biological mothers but be mothers to many in Christ.
O God, I cannot endure to see the destruction of my kindred.

Let those that are united to me in tender ties

be precious in thy sight and devoted to thy glory.


Sanctify and prosper my domestic devotion, 
instruction,
discipline, example,
 that my house may be a nursery for heaven,

my church the garden of the Lord,
 enriched with trees
of righteousness of thy planting,
 for thy glory;


Let not those of my family who are amiable, moral,
attractive,
fall short of heaven at last;

Grant that the promising appearances of a tender conscience,

soft heart, the alarms and delights of thy Word,

be not finally blotted out,
but bring forth judgment
unto victory in all whom I love.

No comments: