Dec 13, 2008

Scots' Church CBD Christmas Service

I will be speaking at the Scots' Church CBD Christmas Service this Wednesday 17 Dec. Every year for the last seventeen years I have reflected on the birth of Christ Jesus our Lord during Advent and Christmas, and often found myself praying for fresh insights from the Holy Spirit. The task was even more daunting as I started to do that since ten years ago not only as a believer pondering Christmas, but as speaker delivering a Christmas message. I felt moving from the 'consumer' to 'supplier' side is both a privilege and stressful thing to think about. There is a limit to what we can preach about the characters around Christmas: The shepherds, Mary, Joseph, the Innkeeper, the Kings, Herod, and the angels. Or the prophecy, the virgin birth, and so on. So this year here I am doing it again. But I am thankful for "the breadth and length and height and depth" of Christ's love (Ephesians 3:18) which never ceases to amaze me as I learn once again to be fed from it. So this year I have reflected on my perceptions of Christmas which have changed a few times over the last seventeen years. Hence, the title of the message: The Christmas I Never Knew.

No comments: