Jan 15, 2006

Solitude Ransacked

This morning I was working on the finishing touches of my Sunday sermon for the afternoon. The sermon was on 'Solitude'. And I was once again humbled by the experiences of such spiritual giants as Henry Nouwen, Richard Foster, Dallas Willard, and the likes. In my best attempts to 'live' the sermon before delivering them, I was trying to bath myself on the verse from the Psalm 46: "Be still and know, that I am God", attempting to capture the still, small voice of God. You know, the kind that Elijah experienced in Mount Horeb.

All was going well, until my wife came into our study room with a breaking news: "You've got a speeding ticket." It was a $130 ticket for allegedly 4km/hr above the 60 km/hr limit. I was just driving 4 km/hr extra on the boxing day (26th of Dec) and I've got $130 fine! As you rightly guess, my quiet, comtemplative moments before God suddenly evaporated into thin air. My joyful, reflective mood quickly changed into a grumpy, angry mood.

Later it dawned on me that how easy it is for a 'menial' thing (like a speeding ticket) to disrupt my time with the Creator of the Universe. While $130 is far from menial to me, it should not have a huge impact on the attitude of my heart. Well, another area that I need His grace on . . .

No comments: